The Breath, and my life

The breath (Pranayama) is vital in Yoga as it is one of the levels a student is trained in order to achieve Samadhi.  This is done by controlling the breathing to be an effortless, smooth, even rhythm which is synchronized with the Yoga postures (Asanas).

Mouth closed, long smooth inhales opening the throat, fill the lungs keeping the stomach in... and then... exhale through the nose, long and even exhales, keeping the stomach in still.  Synchronized with the Yoga postures I feel focused and calm.  Yes, it is very apparent that the breathing technique here is just as important as the Yoga postures.

I suffer from prolong head-aches, once a month usually around my cycle my head will go 3-5 days at a time, pounding.  I found that the breath, the breathing technique learned in Yoga helped.  I first realized the advantages of the Yoga breath when I attended class one day with such a head-ache, 10-minutes into class I realized my head-ache had receded and then gone, poof!  Just like that.  Later on I utilized this breathing technique at home at my own leisure when such a head-ache would appear once again, and like before the pain receded.  The pain does not always recede completely but it does diminish noticeably.

Now when I find myself in a stressful situation or at such a moment that I am about to burst from anger (which is very rare) I utilize the breath and I find that it helps.  It helps to calm and to relax, I am beginning to believe that the antithesis of these two things are what drives people mad- so, I find that I have learnt a life-long way to keep things calm and relaxed when needed.

I sit in the car up-tight as my friend weaves in and out of traffic barely missing bumpers and scraping parked cars - I inhale smooth and deep & exhale smooth and deep.

I get rather upset and my feelings are hurt when my controlling mother repeatedly tells me I'm gaining weight - I inhale smooth and deep & exhale smooth and deep.

I tuck into bed and am looking forward to sleep but I know I'll be tossing and turning for the first hour - I inhale smooth and deep & exhale smooth and deep.

It's been a long day and I am exhausted - I inhale smooth and deep & exhale smooth and deep.


Try it once with me now...

- Sit up with your back straight, nose parallel to the ground and your tummies tucked comfortable in

- Widen through the collar-bone, shoulders aways from your ears

- Relax your face and close your eyes if you would like

- Close your mouth

- Breath in slow through your nostrils, smooth and deep, filling your lungs, opening your throat, tummies being sucked in

- Hold for just a moment

- Keepng tummies tucked in still, exhale through your nostrils, slow and smooth, completely emptying your lungs

- Hold for just a moment

and repeat



No comments:

Post a Comment