My first Yoga class

I had taken exactly two Yoga classes prior to taking a Yoga class at a Yoga studio.  The very first time I took a Yoga class was at 24 Hour Fitness gym in Los Angeles, the second time I took a Yoga class was at an Equinox gym in San Francisco- the latter was better than the first but it wasn't quite at all like taking a Yoga class in a Yoga studio, and so my first Yoga class in a Yoga studio was very different, unexpectedly different... I loved it, this was for me- I knew this after my first class.

Living in a city such as Los Angeles where life is always busy inside you, with you and around you I found it challenging to keep mentally and physically with the slow-pace of Yoga, but I am a very good listener and I follow instructions rather well, the instructor said in the quiet of the class as her calm and soothing voice reverberated slightly in the large wood-floored studio,

"deep long breaths"

I took deep long breaths, inhale - exhale.

"relax your face, your jaw"

I relaxed my face and my jaw.

"just let go, your in a safe space now, it's ok, there's no need to hang on any longer"

And I let go.

After a hour and half of deep stretching and breathing I exited the class feeling surprisingly renewed, refreshed and feeling exceedingly good.  I felt limber and most of all, relaxed, a relaxation I'm not used to feeling- I suppose I have forgotten what it feels like to be relaxed.  I bicycled home that day in high spirits and knew right away that Yoga was for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment